Around the world Christmas is a popular holiday, but at many places next day is also a holiday. Many other countries which are part of Commonwealth countries like UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and Canada celebrates as Boxing Day on December 26th, the day after Christmas , also known as day of Saint Stephen. This holiday is nothing to do a fighting, actual origin on subject of some debate.
Meaning of Boxing Day in History
Christmas is a holiday that you spend with your family in Church. The next day is more secular; involve giving money to poor to those who work for you.
Boxing Day is rooted back to 17th century Britain where Boxing Day is also known as St. Stephen’s Day. There are several different theories but the most particular is boxing that the day after. Even though there is common agreement that the holiday is British origin. It has to do with giving gifts to the poor people. There is still clash as to how the name Boxing Day came about or exactly what uneven relationship is being identified.
The first idea is rich people gave boxes of food and fruit to their servants the after Christmas. They considered, Christmas was a convenient time to do that because there was already get together. These presents were an expression of gratitude to those who worked for them.
The second option is boxes places in churches, in which people drop money for the poor. On Boxing Day Special, the boxes will be open and money distributed among poor.
Another reliable story is boxes were placed in the ships go for long voyage. People put the money in the box then tell the priest to pray for them. So the money will be lost if the ship sunk, if the ship return safely home, the money from the boxes supposedly distributed on Boxing Day.
What vexed me the most, was the clerk, who has an extra ordinary place, and makes as good an appearance as most tradesman in the Parish; to see him come a boxing, alias begging. By Thomas Kibble Hervey
Saint Stephen day
The 26th of December is also St. Stephen’s Day, although within the UK it is almost exclusively known as Boxing Day. Today Saint Stephen Day is celebrated as public holiday.
Boxing Day Traditions Today
Today the holiday is celebrated by giving charity but usually celebrated with different activities depending on the customs of the family or community. It’s mostly just a continuation of festivals on Christmas day. The day for sporting event like foot ball, rugby, and hockey. It’s the time for sales and shopping like black Friday in United States. In many places it’s a busiest day of the year.
Boxing Day Sports
Boxing Day is also a day for sport. Traditionally, it was a day for fox hunting, but this practice was banned in 2004. Some hunts still go ahead despite the ban, but others are artificial hunts where no foxes are chased or harmed. It is also a day for football fans as a full programme of football fixtures are held on Boxing Day. Many people go to football games or watch the matches from home.
Fun Facts about Boxing Day
With so much prepared for Christmas Day, it is inevitable that some will be left over. So, Boxing Day is for eating leftovers! Turkey sandwiches, turkey salad or anything that is leftover gets eaten on Boxing Day.
Boxing Day Shopping
Boxing Day has become one of the busiest shopping days of the year. As, it is the day when the big post-Christmas sales starts. Eager shoppers start queuing from the early hours of the morning to grab bargains. The sale at the department store Harrods is particularly famous as it will sell unique, one-off items for huge discounts. For these items, it is first come, first served!
Some of the biggest discounters at the Boxing Day sale are Myer/Grace Brothers, Big W, Kmart, Target, David Jones, Best and Less. To get the best out of the Boxing Day sale, you don’t just need to walk in off the street, you must have a formed a plan in your mind. Decide before the day that what items you should buy? When you have a clear plan in your mind then you will not waste your money in useless purchase. One of the risks of big sales is that you end up wasting money on things that you do not need and buy them simply because they are on sale.
During the Boxing Day Deals the entire shopping center is normally jam packed with people even people stand out of the mall before opening. In this technology era all Best Boxing Day Sales are available online so it is a good idea to buy online. Selfridges, Marks & Spencer, John Lewis and Debenhams offer good discount on online products. Shopping online is also getting popularity and is a good alternative to the post-Christmas crowds. The Boxing Day Sale is the perfect time to buy for New Year Night.
When does the Boxing Day Sales Start?
The hint is in the name – shops and websites begin slashing prices from December 26 – but there are some who already reducing prices in a bid to boost up sales pre-Christmas.
Simply Be kicks things off on December 22 whereas House of Fraser has announced discounts will start online from Christmas Day.
This year’s Boxing Day Sales will expect kick off at many stores from 5am on December 26, Tuesday, to about 6pm in the afternoon.
Great news for shoppers, this year’s Boxing Day online sale will start on Christmas Eve at 3pm.
Festive shoppers who would hesitate to be part of high street rush are in luck because this year the online sale will also cover menswear, women’s wear, kids’ clothing, and home products.
Amazon Boxing Day Sales Quick Links
Sony Bravia KD43XE8004 43 inch TV – You Save %
- 4K HDR Ultra HD
- Android TV
- X-Reality PRO
- Triluminos Display
- Freeview HD
- Black (2017 Model)
- Energy Class A
Certified Refurbished Amazon Echo – 36% Off
- A Certified Refurbished Amazon Echo
- Plays all your music from Amazon Music, Spotify, TuneIn and more using just your voice
- Fills the room with immersive, 360º omni-directional audio. Play music simultaneously across multiple Echo devices with multi-room music (Available for Amazon Music and TuneIn. Bluetooth not supported)
- Call or message anyone hands-free who also has an Echo device or the Alexa App. Also, quickly connect to other Echo devices in your home using just your voice
- Allows hands-free convenience with voice control
- Hears you from across the room with far-field voice recognition, even in noisy environments or while playing music
iOTA ONE, 10.1-Inch 2-in-1 Laptop – (Black)
- Stylish and portable tablet with detachable keyboard (equipped with sensitive touch pad for effortless screen navigation).
- Work, watch and play with easy access to all of your favourite games, apps, videos and music via the Windows Store.
- With Continuum, your apps and content are displayed beautifully in all modes, from a touch-focused tablet to a keyboard-and-mouse desktop experience.
- Includes Word Mobile, Excel Mobile, PowerPoint Mobile, and One Note to maximise your productivity.
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Micro HDMI and Micro USB – so you can always stay fully connected.
14.1″ HD Windows Laptop Computer, Intel Quad Core Atom Z8350
- 4 GB Ram
- 32 GB eMMC
- 10,000 mAh Battery
- USB 3.0
- UK Keyboard
- Windows 10 – Zaith NEW MODEL XMAS
- 200GB SD CARD
- 12 month Uk warranty
FUJI instax Mini 9 Camera with 10 Shots – Save 12%
- Produce instant credit card size photos
- Built in flash & automatic exposure control
- Inclusive Selfie Mirror, plus Close-up Lens attachment
- instax mini 9 camera – Hand Strap, Close-up Lens Attachment, Sticker, AA Batteries x2, Instruction Manual, 1 x 10 shot mini film pack
Other Best Camera Deals
Nikon D3400 + AF-P 18-55VR Digital SLR Camera
YESKAM Wireless CCTV Camera Systems with 12” LCD
TechVibe Yongnuo YN-568 EX YN568 EX Wireless TTL Camera Flash
JEEMAK 4K Sports Action Camera 16MP WiFi Waterproof Camera
ELEPHAS LED Video Projector, Save 58%
Camera Mounting Kits, Save 80%
SONOS PLAY:1 Smart Wireless Speaker, Black
- Mini: Fits in any space, fills any room
- Rich sound despite its size
- Also works as a Sonos home cinema rear speaker
- Connect your Play:1 to any Amazon Echo or Alexa-enabled device, then just ask for the music you love
- Trueplay tuning: For the best sound possible, wherever you place your speaker